Sunday, July 24, 2011

On "Being Prepared" "Perspective"....

This past week was a hectic one for me.  I was able to get a swim in.  My boss was in town and we played a round of golf in sweltering conditions.  All very good.
My youngest, Sam, went off to Cub Scout Camp Thursday at noon.  This is also a very good thing.  He loves being in Scouts and the whole experience has been very good for him.  Kimm had packed a duffle bag with everything on the list the camp sent us and Sam was comfortable knowing the first night he’d be on his own.  I had made arrangements to be one of the “helping” dads and arriving Friday after work. 
So all was good.
I should have known better when the night before he went to camp, Sam asked me a question:  “Dad, when I get back from camp, can I get some new shoes?”
“Sure thing, Kiddo” I promised him, blowing right through a red flag that had been raised.
Off to camp he went. 
Friday morning came and the phone rang.  It was Paul Steele, the “Pack Master” for Pack 289 and he was telling me Sam wanted me to bring some different shoes out. 
“No problem, I’m coming out after work and can bring a different pair” I said.  “Actually, I’m running by my house in a while…you could leave them on my front porch.”  Paul recommended.  “Will do!”
Red Flag #2...again missed.
I arrived at Camp Rota Kiwan shortly after 5:00 and got checked in.  One of the Dad’s that had been there the day before pointed me in the right direction to our cabin and complimented me on how well Sam had been behaving.  I was very pleased.
Getting to the cabin I saw Sam and a handful of other Cubs in their glory.  Filthy, sweaty, playing on a pile of dirt, banging it with sticks.  I’m not sure but I think they were “looking for gold”.  They were all taking this very seriously and working very hard.  It was a glorious “Lord of the Flies” sight.  Upon seeing me, Sam bounced over, gave me a hug, and showed me to a bunk.   His bunk was on the other side of the cabin.  “The bunk above me is open…” I offered.  “I’m okay here.  Sam responded.  The other dad’s chuckled at the dissing I got from my kid.    I unpacked and soon it was time to head over to the mess hall for dinner.
“Can I have a ride Dad?”  Sammy beamed.  “Sure thing Kiddo!” I said and swooped him up and on my shoulders in one move.  I walked him through the woods listening to all his adventures from the last day and a half.  Other than the sleeping arrangements, I was drunk in the moment!   I was the best dad in the world.  Ward Cleaver would bow at my feet.   These are the moments Dad’s remember always…
The campers have to line up and do some cheers, sing songs and have some fun before dinner is served.  I helped set up the tables with pitchers of water and juice.  I also made sure there were sporks on each  napkin.
The campers went in first.  Each cabin had assigned seating. I waited outside and came in with the last of the parents.  Hot dogs and brats were on the menu.  Sammy had saved a seat for me.  Dad and Kid…no hot dog ever tasted better.  Sammy even offered to clear our paper plates.
It was only then I noticed his limping.
“Sammy…what’s wrong?”  I asked.  His little face looked up at me “My feet hurt” he winced.  I carefully took his shoe off and say that the blisters he worked up from his undersized shoes had since popped and gotten filled with dirt while “digging for gold”.   I told him we needed to get back to the cabin and clean up his feet.  I took his hand and he tried to walk but the pain was really bad.  I picked him up and carried him through the crowded mess hall and got outside.  Back up onto my shoulders and back to the cabin at double-time pace.  I couldn’t imagine what a terrible parent I was.  I pealed his shoes off and washed his feet for him.  He was filthy.  What had been a cute “Norman Rockwell” picture of a boy was now a terrible mess for his father.  I got his feet cleaned up.   I quickly realized how unprepared I came to camp as I had no antiseptic or bandages.  Fortunately the other Dad’s, the “GOOD  ONES” as I was already calling them in my head had all the necessary gear to clean out the open wounds and get band-aids on them.   Paul even had some Ibuprofen for his pain.   Sam was back in action. 
I was so embarrassed.  “I’m going to run out and get the kid some shoes that fit” I announced.   “Is there anything else we need?”  I knew the answer, ”no….the good dads came with everything they needed.”
I run out to the nearest Meijers.  I find some size 4’s that I think Sammy will like.  I also get him a 6 pack of larger socks thinking these will go over the bandages easier.  BANDAGES!!!!  I go get a pack of bandages and some Bactine.  I see a whole little First Aid Kit in a little white plastic box…I grab that too.  I am in full “over-compensate mode” and my guilt would not be denied.  Some gummy candies and a new flashlight later, I am headed back to camp.  With any luck, I can salvage my son’s first experience at camp.

As I drove, I had ESPN on the radio.  I was not paying attention at first but then I heard a story come on about a boy named Adam.    He was now 16 and when he was younger he was a star football player.  It’s the only thing he ever wanted to do.  He was very good at it.
Then he got sick.
I’m not sure what the disease was, but it was one of those cruel blood disorders that take a long time to diagnose.  The poor kid was in and out of hospitals for years.  He lost part of his lower intestine due to complications.  When they thought the worst was behind him, he had a stroke leaving him paralyzed on his left side.
He was in a coma for over three weeks.  His mother refused to leave his side because she was afraid he was going to die alone.  He came out of the coma but the ongoing treatments took a tremendous toll on him.  “God must have chosen me because I am strong enough to deal with it” his young voice said.
The announcer continued the story “but that was not always the case…”  His mother began to speak of how when things got really bad, her son asked her to help him die.  That the doctors could just give him some medicine to help him go to sleep and never wake up.
I had to pull the car over because my eyes were welling up.  I sat there emotionally taxed.  The story continued with Adam meeting his hero, Tim Tebow  of the Denver Broncos.  Adam got to go to a practice and draw up plays that Tim would run.  It was a nice story about a kid and a family that had been through hell and back.  Okay…not back.  The kid is still very ill.
I sat in my car for a moment.  I looked down and saw the box of Sketchers I bought for Sam.
“I cried because my son had no shoes…” I thought to myself.
I got back to camp re-bandaged up his heels and got the new socks and shoes on his feet.  Within minutes he was back to the pile of dirt and leading one cabin of boys on an “attack” of the cabin up the road. 
Despite my new perspective on how lucky I was, I still felt somewhat sorry for myself.  As “taps” and “lights out” came,  I sat on my bunk when all of a sudden a little boy stood in front of me with a pillow and sleeping bag….
“Dad, can I still have the bunk above yours?”
“Sure thing Kiddo…”

No comments:

Post a Comment